Over the last two weeks I have started working at the YMCA where I have been working out for the past three years. I feel like I have come full circle because when I first went there I was trying to lose the baby weight after Weston; I didn't really feel great about my body. I have completed the "lose the baby weight" process 2 times with the help of instructors and friends at the Y and now I feel like I can give back by being an instructor and helping others to build healthy bodies as well. I am teaching three Zumba classes a week and two parent/child yoga classes. It has been great for the kids to get out of the house in this freezing weather and get a change of scenery. Wes is taking two preschool classes one called superheros and Everyday heroes, and the other Monet monkeys. He is also doing one of the parent/child yoga classes with me which is great for us to have some bonding time together, just he and I. He likes it so much that even though he was sick today, he was determined to go. Elijah enjoys playing with All the toys in kid care and especially loves those things you push around and the little balls pop inside. I feel so comfortable leaving him there and the staff is so good with him, in fact every time I drop him off one of the ladies says "here comes my baby."
Everyday it is looking more like we will be going west for residency, and by west I mean back to Utah. The prospect is very inviting and I would be excited to be near family again, but my day to day life is so great here and there is no YMCA in Salt Lake so we couldn't have the same kind of experience. I know there are lots of gyms around, but I love the mission of the Y "Strong Kids, Strong families, Strong communities." I think we need one in SLC so I am making it my mission to make it happen even it if takes me 10 years. There is a YMCA organization in SLC that provides child care and camp programs, but no health and fitness and preschool programs. I have contacted the national YMCA office to get some info about where to start and I am determined to make it happen. I think the community could benefit so much from what the Y has to offer and it would provide a non-denominational Christian environment which I think is lacking in Utah.
It is all very exciting, I feel like we have so many good things coming up and yet I am enjoying the now very much too, I don't want this phase of life to end. On a funny note our neighbor decided to spray paint a pair of shoes in the hall last night. We suddenly noticed a strong odor and I looking our the peep hole and saw him with his shoes all lined up spraying them black. We quickly put a blanket under the door to keep out the smell. One thing is for sure, I will not miss apartment living:)
Friday, January 16, 2009
I love the YMCA
Posted by Becki at 11:59 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You build it, I'll teach there!
I miss the Y so much! If you can make it happen, fabulous!
a. you go girl, b.I wish I could take a yoga or zumba class from you, maybe someday! c. I'm so excited at the prospect of you coming here! can' wait for Mar 19! d. you will definitely not miss apt living!
Post a Comment