Thursday, September 11, 2008

Holy Hill


Kyle had the morning off today so we decided to take a day trip to Holy Hill Shrine to the virgin Mary. It is a huge multi-story church with a restaurant besides. We had a lot of fun and learned a lot about the catholic faith including how to pray the rosary. My favorite part was the stations of the cross path that flowed up the hillside and each station was represented by a beautiful sculpture. It was a little tricky manuvering the stroller up the stairs, but Wes especially enjoyed seeing the everything. We all mentined how nice it was to be up high almost like being in the mountains and having so many tall trees around. We ate lunch in the cafe there and spent some time looking around the gift shop at all the Cathloic paraphanilia. We actually bought a rosary, Kyle was sad that the rosary made of baseball beads was so expensive or we would have a baseball one instead of plain beads. We'll display them along with our nude statues:)
Kyle and I were very intrugued with some murals they had in between chapels in the large church, there was a lot of univeral symbolism as well as masonic imagry. I guess we all have some of the same truth, by definition of truth. It was a great experience and as we were leaving a Friar blessed our family. It was a peaceful place to spend a September 11th day.




if you squint you can almost see the milwaukee skyline.

a few of our favorite sculptures from "stations of the cross"








2 comments:

Brett & Honnelore said...

Looks like a beautiful place. I love all the green.

Summer said...

ok, the nude statues were enough, but now, I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable in your home if you have a rosary...
:) looks like a fun outing!