I think there should be a version of the song “Manic Monday,”(the Bangles) called “Manic Sunday” which describes the so called day of rest where parents drag their two nap deprived children to church for 3 hours at 1:00 in the afternoon. The parents also have meetings before and after church, fulfill their own callings and a few odd jobs here and there during, and actually try to get some spiritual nourishment out of the experience. Don’t forget the home teaching visiting in the evening and trying to get Sunday dinner on the table while the kids are climbing the walls and ready to eat the couch. Today I did get a great laugh out of sacrament meeting, There was a sweet sister speaking about young children, she does not have young children , and I quote, “it is impossible not to love three year olds.” Kyle and I both looked at each other and tried not to laugh out loud because just moments before, Wes had smacked Elijah and shoved him over without any apparent provocation. I have made mental lists of 100 reasons why three year olds are hard to love so I guess that’s why it hit me so funny. To be fair, I also make lists (real ones not mental) of reasons why I love my three year old. The best part of the day was when Wes and I made a pumpkin pie for dessert. He was so proud to help and even had to call up grandma and grandpa to tell them what he had done. It was a good pie and a very fitting ending to a manic Sunday.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Amen, Becki, Andy and I have often asked each other when the sabbath stopped being a day of rest and the answer is invariably, when we had kids! So this afternoon I told my kids they were not to leave the basement for ONE HOUR and I went and took a nap!! I'm in primary now, and I do love those children more than I thought I could, but enough is enough sometimes!
I have to completely agree with you on the manic sunday part. It couldn't really be described as a day of rest as far as I am concerned, but what do ya do?
That is funny and agree with you 100 percent! I thought 1:00 was bad, bu our church out here starts at 1:30! Definitley NOT a day of rest for us.
Post a Comment